Not every MBTI personality type gets along perfectly well. But that can’t be said about ISTJ and ESTP. At a first glance, these two personalities are quite different. While one of them is the introverted type and hates social situations, the other is the extroverted one and can’t live without interacting with people.
Besides, ISTJ is a Judging (J) personality, meaning that they maintain a well-organized routine and follow their own plans every day. On the contrary, ESTPs have the Perceiving (P) traits and they don’t mind if everything is not settled. They are impulsive people and easily adapt to new situations.
However, ISTJs and ESTPs share Sensing (S) and Thinking (T) categories. This means that they have similar patterns of decision-making and both of them focus on the details in the process. Still, people often think that they hardly understand each other. But we can certainly say that the facts prove otherwise and even more, ISTJs and ESTPs are often listed as an ideal match for romantic relationships.
In this article, we will discuss the comparison between ISTJ vs ESTP, review their main characteristics, and see what the relationship between these two personality types looks like.
ISTJ: The Logistician
When it comes to choosing the smartest people from Myers-Briggs 16 personality types, ISTJs always get at the top of the lists. That’s why they are nicknamed the Logisticians or the Inspectors. People with these personality types have amazing analytical skills and a great sense of logic. They tend to carefully examine all the details before making decisions and as a result, their conclusions are always efficient and powerful.
One of the major strengths of ISTJs is that they are very realistic people. While others enjoy dreaming about the future without doing anything to achieve their goals, ISTJs take practical steps and examine the plan carefully. However, they are under pressure when everything isn’t planned in advance and feel stressed. They are not flexible and find it difficult to adjust to new situations.
ESTP: The Persuader
ESTPs are obviously very communicative and talkative people. They can’t imagine a day without meeting people and sharing their thoughts. While others prefer to solve their problems themselves, they don’t even think about being alone in anything. However, they make decisions quickly. Coming up with a solution is not a big deal for ESTPs. But they are impulsive people and prefer making spontaneous decisions instead of wasting time planning in advance.
ESTPs can easily convince people due to their great social skills and that’s exactly why they are called the Persuaders. They can easily notice even the smallest details and create innovative ideas. People often prefer them as the leaders of the group because of their influential speaking manner. They are very energetic, funny and amusing people with whom you can hardly get bored.
Comparison of ISTJ vs ESTP
The Logisticians and Persuaders have just two personality traits in common but this resemblance creates a lot of similar characteristics. However, they have different attitudes towards plenty of matters as well. Let’s compare ISTJ vs ESTP and see what they think about romance, what their core values are, and what kind of leaders they are.
- Once ISTJs notice intelligence and analytical abilities in someone, they immediately fall in love. They are easily attracted to independent people who have determined plans and know what they want from life. Due to their logic, ISTJs are not very romantic people but they never hesitate to devote enough time and energy to their partner. They consider relationships serious and never fail their partners.
- Just like ISTJs, ESTPs are rational people and don’t enjoy expressing their feelings. They never let emotions affect their decisions but sometimes things change when they fall in love. They consider romantic relationships as something thrilling and extraordinary. As a result, they are always completely involved in relationships and spend so much time together with their partners.
- ISTJs value consistency in life. They are self-determined people and want to remain stable whatever happens. Besides, they believe that being responsible is a key to achieving success and they demand the same from their partners, friends, or family members.
- ESTJs value adventure and enjoy facing risks. They completely believe in themselves and their strengths and as a result, when things change, they never hesitate to make risky decisions and act impulsively. Family is very worthwhile for them and they never step back from risking everything, when it comes to family.
- ISTJs are efficient leaders. They are extremely reliable and dedicated to helping the team achieve success. ISTJ leaders tend to share creative insights and help the team members to organize their schedules. Before they start a new project, ISTJs always make sure that each member of the team understands the task.
- People admire ESTP leaders. They are flexible, adaptable, and entertaining people with an easy-going attitude. Due to their casual and friendly working environment, the members of their team never feel stressed. Besides, they are very practical and can efficiently make serious decisions about the company’s future.
ISTJ & ESTP – a Perfect Match
It seems like ISTJs and ESTPs can overcome their different preferences and date each other successfully for a long time. Both of these personality types are extremely committed in relationships and chances are very low that they will deceive their partners. Besides, both of them are very rational and enjoy discussions with logical arguments. The fact that ESTP prefers impulsive decisions while ISTJ tends to think twice balances their relationships and strengthens them even more.
However, according to common sense, too much logic can be harmful to relationships. When two Thinking (T) personalities meet each other, there’s no place left for emotions and romance and as a result, they quickly get bored of each other. Therefore, although ISTJs and ESTPs are considered a perfect match for romantic relationships, sometimes the practice proves otherwise.
ISTJ vs ESTP Conclusion
To sum up, ISTJs and ESTPs get along very well. They have different preferences when it comes to social situations, but sharing plenty of characteristics usually compensates for these differences between ISTJ vs ESTP. Although some people believe that ISTJs and ESTPs can’t be in long-term relationships, generally, they are considered ideal partners, and chances are high that they will fall in love with each other.