How Similar These Two Personality Types Are
Many people are trying to find out what their personality type is to discover more about their characteristics, predict possible behaviors, and see how they get along with other people. Taking MBTI can actually help you to do so. But if you already took a test that revealed your personality type and want to know more about the differences and similarities between INFJ and INFP, you should definitely keep on reading. In this article, we will review an opposition of INFJ vs INFP and point out their characteristics.
INFJ and INFP are two personality types from the Myers-Briggs inventory. To the casual eye, they may seem pretty much alike, but actually, there are quite a lot of differences between them. People of both these personalities tend to be creative, perfectionist, and oriented towards helping others. But they have different cognitive functions – INFJ has a Judging (J) disposition, while INFP is a Perceiving (P) type. Let’s see how similar these two personalities are.
A Brief Review of INFJ
INFJs, or the Advocates, as they are frequently called, are the rarest personality types of MBTI. These people are deeply idealists and believe that reaching their goals step-by-step should be the most important motivation for everyone. Although they are not practical, INFJs are not dreamers as well. They always take specific steps to achieve their aims.
Even though INFJs are introverted, they are eager to help people and enjoy speaking out loud to convince others of their visions. They have a great emotional understanding and an ability to look at things from other people’s shoes. Therefore, they are very empathetic and focus on feelings more than rational thoughts.INFJs hate injustice and always stand for whatever is right. And they do anything to get what they deserve.
A Brief Review of INFP
INFP is also referred to as the Mediator. The reason is that people with this personality type can ease complicated situations with their great skills of communication. However, generally, they are introverted and quiet people who don’t like to interact with others at all. Still, this doesn’t mean that they are shy in any way. With their friends, INFPs can talk about anything, revealing their diplomatic skills.
INFPS are intuitive people who usually predict possible scenarios of events as a result of the combination of creativity and logic. Daydreaming is one of their hobbies and they spend hours every day imagining the future and non-existing stories in their minds. Besides, INFPS are very sensitive, and even watching movies or listening to music can make them cry. Just like INFJ, INFP is a very rare personality type.
INFJ vs INFP: What Are The Key Differences?
Both INFJs and INFPs have a certain portion of creativity and analytical skills but still, there’s a big difference between their cognitive functions. Specifically, INFJs are more logical people. They have a great sense of creativity but prefer to base conclusions on logic. On the other hand, INFPs can be analytical in some situations but they are far from being practical and prefer to use creative potential in order to solve problems.
Below we will compare the major differences between INFJ vs INFP in romantic relationships, leadership styles, and general values.
- INFJs believe that building a satisfying relationship is an essential part of a successful life. Since they value success, they are very determined to find the right person that will stay in their life for long. That’s why they spend years searching for their soulmate. It’s true that they have rather unrealistic expectations but INFJs are very passionate and warm in romantic relationships.
- INFPs believe that both partners should share their thoughts, dreams, and desires with each other in order to build a perfect relationship. Only that way they can take care of each other’s weak points and vulnerabilities. Although they are introverts, INFPs get along well with extrovert types like ENFJ, or ESFJ.
- Advocates are unique leaders. Having both logic and emotions helps them to take care of everything at the workplace and increase the performance of the workers. Their leading strategy is to determine future mistakes and help team members to avoid problems. INFJs are passionate about the development of the team and are eager to see the growth as a result of their plans and creative strategies.
- INFPs are very passionate to be leaders mainly because of one simple reason – they want to make the world a better place. They believe that enough motivation and dedication can actually help them make significant changes. Similar to INFJs, they are focused on personal development and are very supportive when the team is in trouble. However, they don’t like being at the center of attention.
Values and Principles
- Love and freedom are some of the most important values for INFJs. But they value only deep feelings, not shallow relationships. They believe that showing we care about others is a key to success in all types of relationships. Also, they are eager to see the sincerity in others and are not interested in materialism, and gossip. Therefore, if you are an honest, free, and creative person, chances are high that you’ll attract Advocates.
- One of the most important things in life for INFJs is autonomy and authenticity. They are independent people, dislike traditions, and want to live according to their own standards and principles. They are always in search of deep emotional connection with others and refer to a few but deep relationships instead of having many friends. Besides, they can’t imagine a day without dreaming about the future.
To sum up, as we reviewed differences of INFJ vs INFP, now you know that despite having plenty of values in common, they get along only partially. They share attitudes towards love and romantic relationships in general, value creativity and freedom but still, INFPs usually look for extravert partners who will help them adapt to social situations. INFJs on the other hand, have specific requirements when it comes to relationships. As a result, these two don’t always have a great relationship. They do have chemistry, though.